Daniel James Seavey (born April 2, 1999) is an American singer-songwriter, musician, and producer from Vancouver, Washington. He is part of the five-piece band, Why Don't We. In 2015 he appeared on the h14th season of American Idol with his rendition of "Hallelujah".
Early life[edit | edit source]
Daniel James Seavey was born in Portland, Oregon to Keri and Jeffrey Seavey. He has three siblings: Tyler Seavey (born September 5, 1994), Christian Seavey (born March 28, 1997), and Anna Seavey (March 6, 2001).
Since he was little, his mother described Seavey to have perfect pitch and find music in everything. By the time he was ten years old he could play the piano, guitar, alongside the violin and the cello. He participated in a few talent shows. He and his father used to travel down to Portland to play music on the street for art walks. The first time he performed, covering Adele's "Someone Like You", there were about three hundred people present, stopping traffic.
Career[edit | edit source]
2015: Early beginnings and American Idol[edit | edit source]
In January 2015, Seavey appeared on the fourteenth season of American Idol with the song "Hallelujah". He met future band mate Jack Avery at the auditions, though Avery didn't make it through. Seavey made it to the Top 9 before being eliminated on his birthday. He considered the whole experience to be his "first chance" and thought that he didn't work hard enough as he should have. The night he was voted off, Harry Connick Jr. came into his dressing room and gave a number to contact. Sometime later Connick contacted him, holding out an offer to be an opening act at a show near his hometown. After touring for two weeks on the road along with his sister, it reminded him of his love for music.
He began to play at local shows and auditioned for anyone who let him. He uploaded covers to his YouTube channel and did a cover collaboration with Lovey James in 2016, "Secret Love Song". He met Jonah Marais through a mutual friend in Portland, and noticed Corbyn Besson online and started to message. He didn't know Zach Herron that well, but watched the "Stitches" video.
2016-present: Why Don't We[edit | edit source]
|Main article: Why Don't We#History|
He initially was not in the first meetup of the band in Los Angeles, but then Avery brought his name up and all five instantly clicked. On September 27, 2016, they formed the band Why Don't We, which Seavey considered as his "second chance". Since then they've released two studio albums: 8 Letters and The Good Times and The Bad Ones, which both charted; five EPs: Only the Beginning, released in 2016, Something Different, Why Don't We Just, Invitation, and A Why Don't We Christmas, released in 2017; and did four tours, their 8 Letters Tour being international. In January 2021 their second studio album The Good Times and The Bad Ones was dropped, followed by their EP The Good Times in March.
Musical style and influences[edit | edit source]
One of the musical inspirations are The Beatles. He named another one of his influences to be Drake, for his consistent release of songs. Growing up he was deeply influenced by his parents' taste in music which included P.O.D and Falling Up, Norah Jones, Adele, and Madonna.He admits to always liking Ed Sheeran's songs and songwriting and Post Malone being someone he always wanted to collaborate with.
Personal life[edit | edit source]
After Seavey's experience on Idol, he struggled with depression, being taunted by his classmates, reminding him of being back to where he started. Just when he was about to give up, his parents encouraged him to keep going and work hard.
Due to putting off his studies in pursuit of his musical career, Seavey graduated from high school in 2017.
In 2019, he had surgery on his nose to help with a breathing issue.
Discography[edit | edit source]
Singles[edit | edit source]
As lead artist[edit | edit source]
|"Breakaway"||2015||American Idol Top 9 Season 14|
As a featured artist[edit | edit source]
|"See You Again"
(Lovey James featuring Daniel Seavey)
|"Secret Love Song"
(Lovey James featuring Daniel Seavey)
|"Best with Two"
(Big World Audio Theatre featuring Daniel Seavey and Makaena Durias)
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- @SeaveyDaniel: "Freshes squeezed orange juice is the bomb diggity"
- @SeaveyDaniel: "There's nothing I hate more than the person that pees all over a public toilet seat"
- @SeaveyDaniel what does Siri call you?
@SeaveyDaniel: "Daddy obviously"
- @SeaveyDaniel: "I JUST DROPPED A LAYS CHIP AND MY NEW PHONE AND MY PHONE BROKE BUT THE CHIP DIDNT ARE YOU KIDDING ME APPLE IM SUEING"
- @SeaveyDaniel: "I hate when hotel bathrooms don't have locks on the doors so ur just like hey guys don't come in I'm naked((:"
- @SeaveyDaniel: "I tried editing a pic to see what I would look like platinum and it turned purple IM DEAD HAHA"
- @SeaveyDaniel: "HA I want a girlfriend"
- @SeaveyDaniel: "When both ur friends are so dang sexy and ur just like "
- @SeaveyDaniel: "There's nothing worse than forgetting you gotta pee before a long car drive (': pray for me guys."
- "Ouch that hurt!"
- @SeaveyDaniel: "How does a company as big as apple make all their new stuff so inconvenient.. I really got like 10 dongle things hanging out of my laptop rn"
- @SeaveyDaniel: "Having a girlfriend would be nice"
- @SeaveyDaniel: "Just dropped one of my AirPods into the airplane toilet and it was gone forever, just my luck"
- @Twitter: "First word that pops into your head"
- "Kansas City, Missouri, I’m feeling so flirty. Think it’s kinda so dang hot in Kansas City, Missouri."
- "'Work hard in silence: Let your success be your noise.' A lot of people feel like they have something to prove. I just can't wait to inspire people with my music and make them dance. I don't need to tell the world how great I am. If the world wants me to tell me that, then I'm going to be super thankful for it.
- @SeaveyDaniel: "Everyone add me on snap jackybabes1"
- "you ever just look in the mirror and you’re like whomst"
- "Idk what hurts more my shin or my feelings"
- "My worst quality is my tooth gap."
Corbyn: "No that's cute."
Zach: "That's actually your best quality."
- "If you ever need anyone to lick things for you I’m your guy."
- "Ugh. I love apple juice. So good."
- ”I got my apple juice, my apple juice.”
Tattoos[edit | edit source]
He has five known tattoos. The first he posted over his Twitter account. It is the Dwennimmen (Ram's horns) which is an Adinkra symbol of humility and strength on the inside of his wrist. The second was posted over his Instagram story on December 8th, which has altogether three linked together: a tree, a tally mark, and a palm tree located over his first one. It may represent his transition from Oregon to Los Angeles with his band. The fifth one is a banana tattoo matching with the rest of his band mates. The sixth one on his leg for his friend Corey who passed away in the summer of 2020. His most recent tattoo is the title of the band's latest album, The Good Times and The Bad Ones, located on the arm.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- He can play about 20 instruments but plays these really well (guitar, piano, cello, recorder, saxophone, drums, violin, viola and bass).
- He can juggle.
- He believes in second chances.
- His favorite food is his mother's fettuccine.
- His favorite quote is "Love your neighbor as yourself."
- His least favorite food is stuffing.
- His biggest fear is laziness, because of "losing an opportunity because of a dumb choice".
- His hidden talent is riding a unicycle.
- His favorite animal is a monkey or a lion.
- His favorite cereal is cocoa puffs.
- His biggest splurge was a $5000 drone.
- His personal theme song is "Twist and Shout" or Pharrell's "Happy".
- Whenever worried or feeling anxious he calls his mother.
- His favorite holiday is summer break, one of the reasons was because he disliked school.
- If he wasn't a singer he would be an architect.
- He loves science.
- He studied Spanish for a year.
- He does not like chocolate.
- 8 is his lucky number.
- On March 20, 2016 he got his appendix removed.
- In Taiwan, a fan stole his shoe and ran off with it.
- His first crush was when he was in sixth grade and her name was Aaliyah. He was too nervous to speak to her and one day she went up to him and they talked.
- In seventh grade at a basketball game, he had his first kiss.
- In an interview, he said "I love you" to Aaliyah Brown.
- His celebrity crush is Hailee Steinfield.
- If he had a bucket list, collaborating with Ed Sheeran would've been on it.
- Between dogs and cats he prefers dogs despite having a pet cat growing up.
- His favorite song to perform is "Big Plans".
- His pet peeve is cocky people who think they're better than someone else.
- His best gift is underwear.
- If he had a superpower, he would want to be invisible.
- If you type in "blue eyed giraffe", he appears in images.
- He wants to learn Spanish.
- If he woke up as a girl, he once said that he would brush his hair.
References[edit | edit source]
- Why Don't We: In the Limelight
- Kotler, Hannah. "10 Things You Didn't Known About Daniel Seavey". Tigerbeat. June 3, 2018.
- "Why Don't We Influences & Tour" | Meet Series. iHeartRadio. August 18 2017.
- @seaveydaniel. June 14, 2017 – via Instagram.
- @SeaveyDaniel. January 3, 2019 – via Twitter.
- @SeaveyDaniel (March 14, 2015) (tweet) – via Twitter.
- @SeaveyDaniel (May 1, 2015) (tweet) – via Twitter.
- @SeaveyDaniel (April 13, 2016) (tweet) – via Twitter.
- @SeaveyDaniel (June 23, 2016) (tweet) – via Twitter.
- @SeaveyDaniel (September 2, 2016) (tweet) – via Twitter.
- @SeaveyDaniel (September 22, 2016) (tweet) – via Twitter.
- @SeaveyDaniel (September 16, 2016) (tweet) – via Twitter.
- @SeaveyDaniel (March 16, 2017) (tweet) – via Twitter.
- @SeaveyDaniel (August 11, 2017) (tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Why Don't We Compete in a Compliment Battle". Teen Vogue. November 16, 2017.
- @SeaveyDaniel (November 19, 2017) (tweet) – via Twitter.
- @SeaveyDaniel. April 18, 2018 – via Twitter.
- @SeaveyDaniel (September 1, 2018) (tweet) – via Twitter.
- @SeaveyDaniel. December 17, 2018 – via Twitter.
- @JonahMarais (June 29, 2018) — via Halogen.
- @SeaveyDaniel (January 22, 2019) (tweet) – via Twitter.
- @SeaveyDaniel. June 22, 2019 – via Twitter.
- @SeaveyDaniel. July 19, 2019 – via Twitter.
- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7QsTC_DI1zQ "Why Don't We: Under the Mistletoe"]. Music Choice. November 28, 2018.
- "mmm apple juice". March 4, 2019.
- "Why Don't We Play 'How Well Do You Know Your Bandmates?'". Billboard. September 14, 2018.
- "Why Don't We: Daniel and Jack go speechless when Corbyn sings a love song to...". June 26, 2018.
- @SeaveyDaniel. July 29, 2019 – via Twitter.
- @seaveydaniel "Thanks for all the prayers and kind words..." (March 20, 2016).
- "Why Don’t We Talks Going on Tour, Teases Big Collab News". extratv. March 15, 2019.
- "Why Don’t We paljastaa: "Eka suudelmani oli kamala!" 😱😘". Eka kerta. June 12, 2018.
- "Why Don't We Reveal Their "I Love You's"". B96 Chicago. December 9, 2018.
- "Mathilde & Lærke interviews Why Don't We - Rise FM Denmark". Rise FM Denmark. May 12, 2018. Retrieved May 22, 2018.
- "Syd the Intern Interviews Why Don't We + Kazoo Song Challenge". Z95.3. March 16, 2018.
- @1027dabomb (August 22, 2019) "WE'RE CELEBRATING @whydontwemusic’s WORLDWIDE RELEASE...". Retrieved August 23, 2019 — via Instagram.
- "Why Don't We - Who Knows Each Other Best?". Radio Disney. October 15, 2018.
- "WHY DON'T WE about BRAS BEING THROWN ON STAGE 😂😱🔥". June 13, 2018.
He's the hottest one why don't we