Daniel James Seavey (born April 2, 1999) is an American singer-songwriter, musician, and producer. He is 1/5 of the musical group, Why Don't We. In 2015, he appeared in the 14th season of American Idol with his rendition of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah".
On July 15, 2022, Seavey released his debut solo single "Bleed on Me," a song dedicated to his mother. Twelve days later on July 27th, he dropped his cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah."
Daniel James Seavey was born in Portland, Oregon, to Keri (March 18, 1972), a part-time writer, and Jeff (May 21, 1965), who was a pastor at Living Water Community Church. He has three siblings: Tyler (born September 5, 1994), Christian (born March 28, 1997), and Anna (March 6, 2001). Seavey was a student at Union High School in Camas.
Since he was little, his mother described Seavey to have perfect pitch and find music in everything. By the time he was ten years old, he could play the piano, guitar, violin, and the cello. He participated in several talent shows. He and his father used to travel down to Portland to play music on the street for art walks. The first time he performed, covering Adele's "Someone Like You", there were about three hundred people present, stopping traffic.
In January 2015, Seavey appeared on the fourteenth season of American Idol, where he auditioned with Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah". He met future band mate Jack Avery at the auditions, though Avery didn't make it through. Seavey made it to the Top 9 before being eliminated on his birthday. He considered the whole experience to be his "first chance" and believed he didn't work hard enough as he should have. The night he was voted off, Harry Connick Jr. came into his dressing room and gave a number to contact. It was revealed that since Seavey's experience on Idol, he struggled with depression, being taunted by his classmates, reminding him of being back to where he started. Just when he was about to give up, his parents encouraged him to keep going and work hard. Sometime later Connick contacted him, holding out an offer to be an opening act at a show near his hometown. After touring for two weeks on the road along with his sister, it reminded him of his love for music.
Seavey began to play at local shows, and auditioned for anyone who would let him. He uploaded covers to his YouTube channel and did a cover collaboration with Lovey James in 2016, "Secret Love Song". He met Jonah Marais through a mutual friend in Portland, and noticed Corbyn Besson online and started to message. He didn't know Zach Herron that well, but watched the "Stitches" video. Initially Seavey was not in the first meetup of the band in Los Angeles, but then Avery brought his name up, and all five instantly clicked. On September 27, 2016, they formed the band Why Don't We, which Seavey considered as his "second chance."
Musical style and influences
One of his musical inspirations are The Beatles. He named another one of his influences to be Drake, for consistent release of songs. Growing up, he was deeply influenced by his parents' taste in music, which included P.O.D and Falling Up, Norah Jones, Adele, and Madonna. He admits to always liking Ed Sheeran's artistry, and Post Malone being someone he always wanted to collaborate with.
On March 20, 2016 he got his appendix removed. Due to putting off his studies in pursuit of his musical career, Seavey graduated from high school in 2017. In 2019, he had surgery on his nose to help with a breathing issue.
In 2020, his parents ended their marriage after 27 years.
On June 12, 2022, he was invited to the Beacon Theater in New York City to perform his rendition of "Hallelujah."
In August 2022, it was reported that a fan broke into Seavey's house. He addressed over Twitter, "i am fearful for my safety and will be moving houses immediately. i will also be pressing charges. i am not in la and am safe for the time being, but i worry a restraining order isn't enough to protect me, my friends and family." Seavey's father responded, "The girl was held in a psych hold for 72 hours after her arrest. The Dr informed us that she will prob do it again and advised pressing charges."
He has five known tattoos. The first he posted over his Twitter account. It is the Dwennimmen (Ram's horns), which is an Adinkra symbol of humility and strength on the inside of his wrist. The second was posted over his Instagram story on December 8th, which has altogether three linked together: a tree, a tally mark, and a palm tree located over his first one. It may represent his transition from Oregon to Los Angeles with his band. The fifth one is a banana tattoo matching with the rest of his band mates. The sixth one on his leg for his friend Corey who passed away in the summer of 2020. He has a tattoo of the title of the band's second studio album, The Good Times and The Bad Ones, located on the arm. He has a tattoo of a bird on his arm, and another of a man climbing through a window. His most recent tattoo is the word 'Darling' on his chest.
- "'Work hard in silence: Let your success be your noise.' A lot of people feel like they have something to prove. I just can't wait to inspire people with my music and make them dance. I don't need to tell the world how great I am. If the world wants me to tell me that, then I'm going to be super thankful for it.
- Daniel: "My worst quality is my tooth gap."
Corbyn: "No that's cute."
Zach: "That's actually your best quality."
- "If you ever need anyone to lick things for you I'm your guy."
- "Ugh. I love apple juice. So good."
- "I got my apple juice, my apple juice."
- He can play about 20 instruments, though he plays these really well: guitar, piano, cello, recorder, saxophone, drums, violin, viola and bass.
- He can juggle.
- He believes in second chances.
- His favorite food is his mother's fettuccine.
- His favorite quote is "Love your neighbor as yourself."
- His least favorite food is stuffing.
- He does not like chocolate.
- His biggest fear is laziness, because of "losing an opportunity because of a dumb choice".
- His hidden talent is riding a unicycle.
- His favorite animal is a monkey or a lion.
- His favorite cereal is cocoa puffs.
- His biggest splurge was a $5000 drone.
- His personal theme song is "Twist and Shout" or Pharrell's "Happy".
- Whenever worried or feeling anxious he calls his mother.
- His favorite holiday is summer break, one of the reasons was because he disliked school.
- If he wasn't a singer he would be an architect.
- He loves science.
- He studied Spanish for a year.
- He wants to learn Spanish.
- 8 is his lucky number.
- In Taiwan, a fan stole his shoe and ran off with it.
- His first crush was when he was in sixth grade and her name was Aaliyah. He was too nervous to speak to her and one day she went up to him and they talked.
- In an interview, he said "I love you" to Aaliyah Brown.
- In seventh grade at a basketball game, he had his first kiss.
- His celebrity crush is Hailee Steinfield.
- If he had a bucket list, collaborating with Ed Sheeran would've been on it.
- Between dogs and cats, he prefers dogs despite having a pet cat growing up.
- His favorite song to perform is "Big Plans".
- His pet peeve is cocky people who think they're better than someone else.
- His best gift is underwear.
- If he had a superpower, he would want to be invisible.
- If you type in "blue eyed giraffe," he appears in images.
- If he woke up as a girl, he once said that he would brush his hair.
- In the "Love Back" music video, he fell off his bike.
- "Keri Seavey | About"
- Why Don't We: In the Limelight
- Kotler, Hannah. "10 Things You Didn't Known About Daniel Seavey". Tigerbeat. June 3, 2018.
- "Why Don't We Influences & Tour" | Meet Series. iHeartRadio. August 18, 2017.
- "Daniel Seavey on Instagram: "Thanks for all the prayers and kind words..." ". Instagram. March 20, 2016.
- "@seaveydaniel". Instagram. June 14, 2017.
- "@SeaveyDaniel". Twitter. January 3, 2019.
- "@SeaveyDaniel". Twitter. August 1, 2022.
- Mier, Thomas (August 1, 2022). "Why Don't We's Daniel Seavey 'Safe' But 'Fearful' After Fan Breaks Into House". Rolling Stone.
- "Why Don't We: Under the Mistletoe". Music Choice. November 28, 2018.
- "mmm apple juice". Halogen. March 4, 2019.
- "Why Don't We Play 'How Well Do You Know Your Band mates?'". Billboard. September 14, 2018.
- "Why Don't We: Daniel and Jack go speechless when Corbyn sings a love song to...". YouTube. June 26, 2018.
- "Why Don't We - Who Knows Each Other Best?". Radio Disney. October 15, 2018.
- "Daniel Seavey". Twitter. July 29, 2019.
- "Why Don't We Talks Going on Tour, Teases Big Collab News". extratv. March 15, 2019.
- "Why Don't We paljastaa: "Eka suudelmani oli kamala!" 😱😘". Eka kerta. June 12, 2018.
- "Why Don't We Reveal Their "I Love You's"". B96 Chicago. December 9, 2018.
- "Mathilde & Lærke interviews Why Don't We - Rise FM Denmark". Rise FM Denmark. May 12, 2018. Retrieved May 22, 2018.
- "Syd the Intern Interviews Why Don't We + Kazoo Song Challenge". Z95.3. March 16, 2018.
- "@1027dabomb on Instagram: "WE'RE CELEBRATING @whydontwemusic's WORLDWIDE RELEASE..." ". Instagram. August 22, 2019. Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- "WHY DON'T WE about BRAS BEING THROWN ON STAGE 😂😱🔥". YouTube. June 13, 2018.
- "Daniel falling off moped". YouTube. October 3, 2021.
- at the
|Discography · Gallery|
|Why Don't We|
|Jonah Marais • Daniel Seavey • Zach Herron • Corbyn Besson • Jack Avery|